Thread: Vitus 979
View Single Post
Old 03-06-14, 09:34 PM
Angry_Monkey

Bikes: Peugeot Ventoux PH501, Vitus 979/Campy C-Record & Chorus, and TBD. :)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric S.
I inherited a Bridgestone Radac, which is pretty much a Vitus copy. I hardly ever ride it because it's a really weird fit for me, but I've had a 130mm hub in it for a little over 3 years. Nothing bad has happened yet but your comment is noted.
I have read in several places that it is not recommended to spring the rear end of an aluminum frame that way. And probably just as many people that say it works just fine. 2mm stretch on each chain/seat stay doesn't seem like much. But I do tend to ride it hard when I get a chance to... we use to ranomly call out sprints to the next telephone pole and HAMMER it. Anything to break up the long stretches of New Jersey country side.

I know the 979 is a very pliable frame, but I'll error on the side of caution. I've got two 126mm rear wheels ready to go, a third that needs some work, and am looking at picking up parts for a fourth and/or fifth read wheel. So I will be set for quite some time for the Vitus and my older Peugeot Ventoux (PH501).

And truth be told, I'm a compete gear head and I'm itching to build up a newer 130mm bike.

-Monkey-