Old 03-07-14, 08:44 AM
lordbikely

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fixed Gear Touring Build Advice - Redline 925

Hey bicycle buddies, (sorry in advance for the long post)

So I had a track bike, a cheap but good Windsor Clockwork Plus, that just got stolen. (Bummer.) It was my mode of transportation, to school and back, 14 mile roundtrip total, but I would regularly ride farther, even as much as 80 miles.

Anyway, I'm going on my first bike tour this spring break to San Francisco from Santa Barbara and back (~800miles) as part of my English Capstone project. I was going to do it on that bike -- Fixed gear touring? Yes. I like the ride, simplicity, and challenge. But now I have the challenge of finding another suitable bike.

I found an unused Redline 925 chromoly frame on ebay for $70, and I plan on sourcing everything else online or from my garage. It will be a bit more practical as a commuter/tourer, but still fixed. I'll be sourcing some parts from various sites, such as jensonusa, bikeisland, and benscycles, and perhaps various stock parts I took off of my old Windsor.

So, on to the questions: I've only done routine maintenance on my previous bike and don't have complete build experience or all the tools. How much would the build cost if I present an LBS with all the parts? (I know buying everything from a LBS is ideal, but I'm on a pretty tight budget.) Am I going about it the wrong way? What would you recommend (I've scoured the internet for days)? Etc. I just need some advice before committing to a bike build that needs to be done in a couple of weeks. I can provide more details, but this is too long already.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!