Thread: S-Works Tarmac
View Single Post
Old 03-11-14, 07:19 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
After much soul searching and testing Di2 and DA 9000, I have decided on DA 9000 and am starting to gather parts. I will tell you both are incredibly good. I am driven largely by hood ergos and there isn't a lot of difference between new DA and Di2...same hood shape. As to shifting difference, DA is so very good that I don't see a big advantage to Di2. So it comes down to ease of shifting and Di2 has be given the nod there...versus tactile feedback from the shifter and you can't beat mechanical in that regard versus a button and servo. Just one gearhead's opinion. Both are amazing. I will learn over time if Shimano nailed the firmness of the hoods compared to Campy. Shape of new Shimano hoods is very good but shape isn't the whole equation. Can only learn that over a thousand miles or so.

As to Tarmac S-works, I am thinking about building one a well as a stable mate for my Roubaix Pro which is an amazing bike.

In summary, I would say you are definitely on the right page.
Share the build here when you do it.
C4L, I think your post above is the first I have seen on BF where tactile feedback is mentioned and proposed as a positive difference between mechanical and electronic shifting. I have no experience of my own with electronic to draw from so I am really just opening this up for more discussion. I understand how feedback is important with mechanical since it is valuable for getting the shift right on the gear you want. (With SRAM Double Tap it is extremely important to upshift or downshift respectively as you are trying to do since the same lever is used for both.) But with electronic it would seem to the uninitiated that feedback would be superfluous given the exactness of the system without guidance from the rider. Would you mind discussing in a little more detail why you miss the feedback in the DI2? Are you saying there is a positive result from feeling the chain movement transmitted back through the derailleurs and cables?

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...