View Single Post
Old 03-12-14, 07:27 AM
Duane Behrens

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac (carbon), Specialized Roubaix (carbon, wifey), Raleigh Super Course (my favorite), and 2 Centurion project bikes.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Stem- to DT-Mounted Shifters

'80 Nishiki Road Bike. The new quill stem (100 extension vs. the old 70) was ordered yesterday:

Nitto Technomic Road Quill Stem 26.0 in Tree Fort Bikes Stems (cat125)

Since the bars and tape will have to come off anyway - and on the advice of a lot of members here - I'll use the opportunity to replace the original "turkey leg" brake mechanisms with some newer Cane Creek hood-type mechs, also ordered yesterday:

Cane Creek SCR-5C Compact Aero Levers > Components > Brakes > Road and Tri Brake Levers | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

Since the above involves removing the bar tape, I've ordered new brown tape to match the new Brooks saddle (thanks, Jane).

And finally and while I've got it apart, why not convert to downtube (DT) shifters? Here is the only source I could find for a new DT clamp to make that change. . . . and it's the reason for this post:

Problem Solvers Downtube Shifter Mount > Components > Shifters > Road Bike Shifters | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

The clamp linked to above is available from Jenson and is sold as "Shimano-compatible." But the existing stem-mounted clamp is marked "Sun Tour."

Will this be a simple swap? Or will I need to also change over the shift levers from Sun Tour to Shimano as well? I'm thinking some of you here may have already made this type of conversion, or at least know the difference (if any) between the Shimano- and Suntour-type mounts.

Thanks - here's the bike as it looks currently.