Old 03-12-14, 07:49 PM
keyven

Bikes: Fully customized 11-spd MTB built on 2014 Santa Cruz 5010 frame; Brompton S2E-X 2014; Brompton M3E 2014

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Caterpillar750
The V8 costs U$850 in our country. During some sale (like Chinese new year), they sold it for U$782.

Is the V8 a good buy? Well, it depends. For me, and some of us, the V8 is a good bike without the hassles and high price of a Brompton. It's also half the price of a 6L Brompton. You can buy 2 V8's for the price of one! And the V8 has a rack already! And a free pump that tucks in the rack!

But for me, it's not just the low price. The build, durability/robustness, reliability, and the ease of upgrading it are the plus for me. This bike has gone long distance running for daily for days, covering thousands of km's, in all sorts of conditions, and in various speeds and terrain has sold me that this bike is not just wanna-be Brompton that is cheaper version. This notion and perception was already shattered by real world use by our hard core rider/owner.

Now, some will not be swayed. But that is ok. But to dismiss the V8 as a poor less than capable bike is so far from the truth. Also the MIT V8 is not really a clone or a copy of the Brompton. It is really a different bike. Only the rear triangle and maybe the front fold is the same. But as far as the frame and even the hinges goes, it's a different bike altogether. And that will be the next I will post on this.
Very nice review Caterpillar. Thank you.

I might consider the V8 as my secondary bike (to use with the Brompton which my wife can use) and play around with the upgrade options, since the Brompton does not offer much 'cheap' and straightforward upgrade paths.

I'm not a technical guy, so I got to ask about the practical options for the V8 - do they have the equivalent of the Front Carrier Block (FCB) on the V8? Either something that allows bags to easily latch on to the bike, or a modified FCB (which I think I heard of) that allows me to quickly snap my bags off/on the bike?