Old 03-12-14, 08:08 PM
Craig Ryan 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by carfart
The two somewhat local courses run around $3000 here in the Midwest. With travel and lodging that could easily push $4000. If I instead purchased the necessary equipment, tube sets, lugs, and brazeons could I realistically get a good start learning on my own?

I gather that the good builders learned through apprenticeships. So I'm really skeptical that I'll get enough value out of the money spent on a one to two week course. I'm low middle class in the Midwest, so that's real money for me. Leaving the value of the experience to chance is out of the question.

p.s. Admins--What eldritch machinations do I have to orchestrate in order to successfully write and edit a post without having to log back in to submit it? If I take longer than a couple minutes I get logged out. What's up with that?
No. Take a class and walk away with a frame knowing you had the eye of an expert looking over your shoulder. You shouldn't bargain hunt for this sort of thing. If money is an issue go do something else and buy a bike at a shop. Some go it alone, but it takes years, passion, and thousands of dollars. Are you prepared to cut up your first 25 frames or more? There are rare people who just take to it, but they've usually spent years in the industry, and have a gift. Some people win the lottery also.