View Single Post
Old 03-12-14, 09:20 PM
Aushiker

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Salsa Mukluk, Riese & Muller Supercharger GT Rohloff (Forthcoming)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 22 Posts
E-assist for a Bacchetta Giro ATT 20

Hi

I am throwing around some ideas on e-bikes and one of the options is trying to re-try my Bacchetta Giro ATT 20 but with e-assist. The alternative is get a diamond frame e-bike off the shelf, e.g., something like a Bergamont E-line CMGN which I can purchase locally for AU$4,500.

The bike will be used as a dedicated commuter, my commute is 84 km round trip with around 300 metres of climbing each way but the big killer is that the ride home is into coastal headwinds which are often around the 50 km/h range. Also the ride to work is often into a strong cross wind so not to many goals kicked most days.

Anyway I am considering a Bafang BBS02 kit based on comments at Endless Sphere but what I would like is any feedback from owners who had done a conversion on a Bacchetta Giro 20 or other SWB bikes. I am aware of the various threads on trikes but I haven't found much on SWB conversions.

One thing that is worrying me or two things are and they are:

(1) Mounting the battery idea. Not keen on the rack approach as I don't want to add more weight to the rear wheel;
(2) Single crank sufficient or can these be run with a triple?

Oh one last thing is I am in Australia where we are legally restricted to 250 w motors but I think I would be okay with a 350 w motor .

Also if anyone has recommendations on a supplier that would be appreciated.

Thanks
Andrew