View Single Post
Old 03-13-14, 07:20 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Rick you would love it. The route changes year to year and usually includes a nice climb every day-sometimes 2 or 3. The week has a very relaxed, casual feel and RtR seems to think of everything to make the week enjoyable and accommodating to the riders. Last year felt like one of the "flatters" RtR's I've done and this years will probably have more climbing than average. All skill levels of riders participate including hand cyclists. They keep the climbs to the typical 6% average and some might hit 8%. However some of the climbs might be 15-20 miles in length like Trail Ridge Road, Independence Pass, etc.

I usually have no issue with 10,000-11,000 ft elevations. I will fly in on Saturday and start riding on Sunday. I'm not as fast as normal (don't need to want to be0 but I still wind up passing hundreds of riders each day.

We usually stay on school grounds and most of the towns are moderate to small in size. I really enjoy supporting the smaller restaurants that normally depend on locals for their business. They have buses that will take folks to restaurants or to hotels for those that are not camping.

The Colorado Highway Patrol monitors the roads and helps to keep what traffic there might be agreeable. The CHP folks usually are repeat folks that really enjoy doing the event with us. The ride fee includes a jersey, tshirt and cap. RtR is well sponsored and they are able to keep the weekly fee very reasonable for what you get. The scenery is priceless of course. I've had the chance to meet several 50+ on the ride as well.