View Single Post
Old 03-13-14, 07:02 PM
cny-bikeman 
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A rim that is physically bent will prevent you from achieving both round and true, because to pull it over you have to crank too much on on the spokes on one side, pulling the rim down as well as over. if you are tightening and loosening in pairs but having to choose round or true that is likely the problem. Easiest way to tell if the rim is bent is without spokes - laying it on a flat surface, but basically if you can't true it without loose spokes on one side and very tight ones on the other that means the rim is bent. Spokes don't really straighten a wheel very much, they just provide the force necessary to have it run straight in relationship to the hub.

Don't tell me what "should" be - either it is, it isn't, or do something about it.

If you think I'm being blunt take it as a compliment - if I thought you were too weak to handle the truth or a strong opinion I would not bother.

Please respect others by taking the time to post clearly so we can answer quickly. All lowercase and multiple typos makes for a hard read. Thanks!