View Single Post
Old 03-16-14, 07:30 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3135 Post(s)
Liked 1,702 Times in 1,027 Posts
Originally Posted by Trucker Dan
I've tried the new lizard skin tape on my cross bike and found it to wear out quick and unwrap when wet.
Not to offend, but that has to be a lousy wrap job or some kind of defective product. Did you oil the bars before installing the tape or something? I'm teasing, but really, I just can't believe that Lizardskins DSP unwraps when wet. I did a 70-something mile ride last fall in total rain the whole time, and the only comment I have about the tape under those conditions was that it performed flawlessly, and even set the bar for grip texture when wet, no slipperiness at all.

As for wear, well yeah, that may have merit. At about 1800 miles, the full season on that bike, there was definite wear on the rib texture and compression of the thickness (i.e. squish reduction), but it was still pretty acceptable. I've had cork tapes on bikes for multiple seasons, so that was a change in experience, but on the other hand, none of them were textured, so that indicator just wasn't there. Compression happens to all tape, but it's so gradual, you just don't notice really until you go to unwrap it.