RollCNY
Speechless

Bikes: Felt Brougham, Lotus Prestige, Cinelli Xperience,

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Dopolina
That was always the trick with DT shifters. You had to shift not for where you were but for where you were about to be. You had to anticipate what gear you were going to need before you needed it.

A perfect example is the idea of shifting before the corner so you would already be in the right gear to exit the corner. When racing against kids who never used DT shifters I would always hear them shifting after the apex, as they stood, exiting the corner. I would already be in the correct gear nd wouldn't have to stand or jump and could just spin it back up, gaining a few positions in the process and using less energy. I could do this because I learned to race on DT shifters.

This advantage dissapears once you move up the food chain or ride with more experienced riders.
Recognize that everything you wrote is why DT shifters are fun, sometimes. I don't believe anyone has said that they are superior to integrated shifters, only that in the choice the OP listed, some of us would choose the DT build.

I primarily ride a single speed anymore, even though I have a road bike with Campagnolo Centaur, which works flawlessly. The single speed brings a certain simplicity to always being in the wrong gear. DT shifters mean occasionally in the wrong gear. IMO, cycling can be very pleasant when you aren't always in the optimal gear. There is this whole "smell the roses" thing.

And despite all of the positive posts about 2300, given the same OP choice, I would still take the DT shifter bike.