Old 03-18-14, 05:11 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,865 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
I ride about 1 meter in from the edge, which gives me some room to give when squeezed. I also try to use my lane position to show when to pass and when not to.

As I said, I don't endorse the "take the lane" approach, as much as a share the road, where you use position to control your destiny, but give way if when it's safe.
+1

My experience is that if you give drivers just enough room to squeeze past, they'll do it. If they have plenty of room they generally give you more space. If oncoming traffic would make a pass tight, I move over enough to make it impossible. If everything looks clear the other way, I give drivers all the space I can. Obviously you have to know the road and know where things are likely to fluctuate.

Other things I've heard that you can do to get more space... (1) ride erratically, if driver's think you might swerve at any moment they give you more room; (2) grow your hair long, studies have shown that drivers give more space to bicyclists that they think are female.

I don't use the first technique often, but once in a while I'll pull it out if I'm nervous about someone behind me. I do have long hair, so I guess I get the second benefit. I also have a big bushy beard, but by the time you can see that I've already got my space.