View Single Post
Old 03-20-14, 06:18 AM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
You post provocative material and don't expect an argument?
No, no, no. There is nothing provocative in my posts! YOU post that [in your imagination] I am not well traveled or aware of the world (although I am) and you call MY posts provocative?!?!?!?

The most entertaining part about your dismissal, though, is that when all else fails -- all the new technology, all the new ideas -- walking still remains the oldest and most reliable mode of transport.
Literally.... I'd give my right arm to live in your imaginative world! I can still bicycle (and drive) without a right arm. But since I am an old man.... MANY of my peers have lost that "most reliable" mode of transport you mention. Yes... one arm would be a small price to pay even to just get my older brother and my daughter's boyfriend.... out of their chairs (the kind with wheels)... and walking again.

But the way society is going with its reliance on motorised transport, walking has lost its appeal in the broader population. Maybe it will be reintroduced to new generations as the new transport fad. How quaint will that be?
Maybe! I was a little surprised when I read that the big fad among celebrity's is raising chickens. Never can guess what the next "fad" will be. But centralizing a decentralized society.... that's a bigger job than moving mountains. You don't have to kill millions of people to move a land mass. Forced migrations however have always involved.... force.

People don't like to ride busses! And... trying to force people to do what they don't wish to do.... has never ended well.

I apologize if my pragmatic dismissal of wishful thinking is offensive to you. A lifetime of finding real world solutions... to real world problems has hardened my edges. But I truly don't mean to offend anyone. I do believe in the power of dreams.. and the power of inspired ideas. But I can not see power in wishful thinking.

Last edited by Dave Cutter; 03-20-14 at 06:23 AM.