Old 03-21-14, 11:07 AM
PapaGanoosh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Vitus 992 Crankset question. Dura ace 7410?

I am looking to replace the BB on my vitus 992. It currently has a bb with a 111mm spindle length on it (was used as a single speed by previous owner), however I wanted to replace it with a Dura ace crank and BB along witha full DA group. The chainstay seems to already have a bit of chainring rub on it with a 111mm spindle length, and I have been speaking with Chombi for advice (he's been fantastic btw) and he has told me that 113mm is shortest for double cranks and suggested I reference sheldon's BB sizing chart.

Now, I came across a 7410 crankset "low profile" (what does that mean....) at a decent price and with some research noticed that the spindle length for the crank is 103mm, I am not too sure that this will work on my frame given the chainstay rub from the previous 111mm spindle. I checked Sheldon's chart and it does say that 103 is indeed the correct spindle length and it gives a 43.5mm chainline. Given the infamous flexibility of the 992 BB flex, should I be worried about chainring rub if I run the shorter 103mm spindle? I am just a bit confused as to how this all works out, do the 7410 cranks jut out more at the square taper area to help push the crankset further away?

Last edited by PapaGanoosh; 03-21-14 at 11:12 AM.