View Single Post
Old 03-22-14, 02:03 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5779 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,427 Posts
Originally Posted by AngeloDolce

For the general topic, I think hostile motorists create more hazards than bicyclists ever will....
I think it's a mistake to draw this kind of comparison. Yes there are some nasty motorists out there (IME- far fewer than implied here on BF, but maybe folks in NY area are kinder and more patient than anywhere else), but whining about them won't do anything.

We need to focus on what we can control, which is ourselves. Based on 45 years experience, bicycle accidents aren't randomly distributed. They can and do happen to the best and most cautious riders, but other than what we might call a bcakground level, some riders have far more problems than average. Unless you believe their just unlucky, you have to accept that cyclists can significantly control their own fates.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.