Old 03-26-14, 10:46 AM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
In my opinion, unless you have the components, it is probably a better idea to go to the LBS (Local Bike Shop) and see what they have in your price range. A complete bike isn't much more expensive than what you can get the components for at retail... and you also get a brand new frame with a warranty on everything. Since you seem to have an idea about components, you may be up to the task of buying a complete used bike as well. In either of these cases, you would be able to test ride the bike to see whether you like it... building from scratch you will have invested your time and money without a test ride...

Also, the high end components will each save you some weight, but when you figure frame + rider + components + (trailer + child) it is going to be a very small percentage of weight savings. Mid-level, and some lower-level, components are fine for most people, reliable and functional... but it is your money. Also note, the manufacturers emphasis on high end gear is weight, so there is a feeling that sometimes the durability isn't quite as good as at the mid-range. I don't necessarily believe this, but do believe that high end doesn't buy extra durability or functionality.

With your stated needs, I would focus on a hybrid bike that has a wide gear range rather than being concerned about level of components. I ride a Trek 7.3 FX that would do the job admirably, as would the bikes lower in the FX line. Other manufacturers have similar bikes that would do just as well. For example, Giant has the Cypress and Sedona lines (I have a Sedona)...

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson