View Single Post
Old 03-26-14, 12:44 PM
thebulls

Bikes: SOMA Grand Randonneur, Gunnar Sport converted to 650B, Rivendell Rambouillet, '82 Trek 728, '84 Trek 610, '85 Trek 500, C'Dale F600, Burley Duet, Lotus Legend

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by carfart
"So ... what other frame is there in the $500 to $700 range that is designed for 650Bx42?" Again the specs on on this frame don't really measure up. It's supposed to fit 42 with fenders, but in reality it fits 38 with fenders. ...
Oh, crap, now you tell me! Guess I'll have to take out the Hetre 42's that I've ridden with fenders for the last 1000km and put the Pari-Motos in.

(Photo was taken on my first ride, before I'd installed the front rack that I usually use to carry my GB28.)

FWIW, the fenders I am using are Velo Orange Fluted 48mm Fenders 700c, bought because they were on sale a few years ago. I used them with Hetre's on my '84 Trek 610, then later on an '82 Trek 728. When I got the Grand Randonneur, installation was almost as simple as taking them off the old bike and installing them on the new. I did have to drill a new hole for the rear brake-bridge mounting since it's in a slightly different place than the Treks. Total time moving the fenders over was about fifteen minutes.

A good friend of mine has a Boulder Bikes All Rounder which he rides with Hetre's and hammered Honjo's. It's a very nice looking frame; and the fork, particularly, has an elegant bend and is more shock-absorbent than the GR's chunky fork. Since the All Rounder frame is made by Waterford it's no surprise that it is a much nicer frame than the GR, but it had better be for triple the cost. I thought long and hard about buying an All Rounder, but ultimately the fact that I am putting two kids through college swayed me to buying a frame that's "good enough".

Nick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCN0062a2.jpg (99.2 KB, 347 views)