View Single Post
Old 03-27-14, 07:56 PM
Giant Doofus

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jrickards
According to "Weight Training for Cyclists, Eric Schmitz and Ken Doyle, 1998", the best method, but is recommended only for people who have been weight training for at least a year (for the sake of knowledge and experience), is the Power Clean routine. However, they also recommend plyometric routines: bounding (30m/yd, 5), single-leg hops (30m/yd 5x/leg), stadium hops (10-20 steps, 5x), single-leg push-offs (5-10x/leg) and squat jumps (5-10x). The basic idea is that you put explosive effort into pushing with your legs, just like the training that @caloso suggested for on the bike. Also, according to the book, the power phase of the training is to occur during the month of March (GET TO IT!!!!) prior to a month of endurance training and then maintenance training through the cycling season. Power training, from the sounds of it, is tough on your legs.

Good luck with it.
Interesting. I'll Google to get some instructions on those plyometric moves and might add a few of those to my routine. I don't need to worry about "the cycling season" because I'm a year rounder. Thanks for the specifics.

oops - I just realized that you provided links to you tube videos. Thanks!

Last edited by Giant Doofus; 03-27-14 at 08:31 PM.