View Single Post
Old 03-29-14, 02:17 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5772 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,420 Posts
Originally Posted by grizzlay
.... i am going to start riding my bike to school & don't want to have to wear spandex! It's a pretty long ride so wearing regular clothes wouldn't be so comfortable!
Years ago (many years) I was an active cycle tourist who rode everywhere, up to 100 miles per day in cut off jeans. Regular clothing was the order of the day for non racers, and wasn't an issue.

OTOH- there's been progress, and many casual cyclists (including me) are used to bike specific clothing, which is fine, though not necessary. The key is good support to keep critical parts from falling to either side of the saddle, and having room to move otherwise.

Jeans are OK, tight jeans a fail. So lycra is fine underneath, whether bike specific, or regular briefs or boxers (lycra dries fast which is a plus) and comfortable street clothes above. After all nobody's going to check your underwear.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.