Old 03-29-14, 02:30 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
What did I know? I didn't even know anyone else who had a road bike, much less training secrets of the pros...... .
Being able to join an established club w/ good coaching and a program that developed young riders in a number of disciplines was/is really important. We were fortunate to have that environment "back when" and I had been active in supporting my cycling club through the ABL of A & USCF years. Going through the early UCSF Coaching Certification program w/ Eddie B., Dr. Burke & their cohort it was obvious that the "seat-of-the-pants" training, tactics and rider positioning were on their way out and a more rigorous & effective system would produce better results, and it did.

I admit that taking my road bike out that weighs what my track bike did & shifts flawlessly across a "straight-block plus climbing gear" range is pretty darn nice but the foundation of technique & discipline that my 1st coach promoted is really what gets me up the hills.

Glad that you are still at it 5 decades on, keep crankin' & promote your local cycling club.

-Bandera