View Single Post
Old 03-31-14, 07:16 AM
RhinoDave

Bikes: Serotta road, Nashbar Touring, Bianchi Cross, Serotta MTB, Schwinn Mesa MTB, Schwinn Moab commuter/backroad tourer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Many ride poachers can get away with pirating the ride by keeping a low profile. Carrying all your own stuff on a touring bike will draw lots of attention. I'm sure the vast majority of riders will simply ignore you and probably will not want to be associated with you. There will however be a few vocal ones who, if they realize you are not a registered rider, tell you exactly how they feel about it. Having ridden many of these, and being a long member of the club that organizes it, can you guess which group I'm in? I guess I'm wondering why you even want to do this since you are and "experienced tourist" and "do it just fine on my own" If you want to ride with a group then join the group. Riding the route is one thing but using the facilities that were arranged and paid for by the ride is another. Strong feelings? You bet, why should I have to put up with a Mooch when I've paid for my right to ride in the group.