Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by Myosmith
The whole point of my first post in this thread was that I don't trust USDA nutrition guidelines, then or now, to be sound advice based on the best nutritional interests of the public. There are way too many political and economic agendas involved to assure that the recommendations are unbiased.
This is the problem, policies are not determined as much by science as they are by those with deeper pockets and financial interests in their respective products.

Machka points out that the Canadian food guide does not place a % limit on sugar:

"The guide emphasises in many places to choose foods that are low in fat, sugar or salt. And the %DV page states that “sugars do not have a % DV because there is no recommended amount of sugar for a healthy population.

It does however have some solid numbers on everything else.

On another note:

The meat industry also lobbies the government but to a much lesser extent than the corn growers association and Monsanto... agri beef spending in 2013 (U.S.) was $85,000 compared to almost 7 million from the corn growers association and Monsanto.

If one wants to see who is driving food policy you need to follow the money.