Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,121 Times in 744 Posts
Originally Posted by abstruse
Hi DMC,

your bike looks awesome!
I'm a bit afraid sitting on carbon with my weight. My dad said no to buy a carbon, because when you crash you destroy the structural integrity of the frame.
What's your height and your framesize.
I'm 5'8 so i think i need a 54cm frame.

I feel a bit embarresed goin into a bikestore with my weight and trying different bikes.
I'm afraid they will not take me serious or that i break something.
There are not many clydesdales here in the Netherlands.
Lots of cyclists but al skinny as heck......

I am 5'9 and 300 --- I wear a 30" inseam in pants and that is the proper size, but when i was measured for a custom frame (measuring device jammed up against the pubic bone ) - i was close to 32 --

The frame size on that Cannondale is a 51, but its misleading a bit as it is a sloping top tube bike -- my "normal" road bikes are either 53 or 54 - and the 51 rides like a 53/54

The Specialized Roubaix is the same way ----

Cannondale also makes the Synapse in aluminum - same with Specialized and their Roubaix . IT saves a few bucks too, and they are also light

Personally, i wouldnt sweat the carbon issues --- i have been using a carbon Santa Cruz mountain bike for years and have crashed it with impunity -- it has gone through far more than my road bike ever will -- especially with a big guy at the helm ---

But --- another bike that is definitely "Clyde friendly " that i didnt mention but will point out is my wife's bike -- dont laugh at the pink bar tape , i have installed my pedals, raised the seat and borrowed this thing for hilly rides --- the compact crankset on the Cannondale is great for 80% of the places i ride, but occasionally i want a little more help --- the triple chainring is a real leg and lung saver on a climb, even if its slow

--- I don't think you could destroy this bike if you tried --- the stock wheels are kind of cheap looking, but they are burly , the seatpost is huge and the tube size is like a mountain bike's -- This is a Scott "womens specific" bike -- but the only differences between it and the men's bike is that stubby stem and short drop bars --- its very close in actual size to that Cannondale -- The parts are a notch or 2 below 105 spec stuff, but as little as she rides it, its no big deal

--- It looks kind of heavy, but in reality , it weighs 20.5 pounds --- about what my old DeBernardi race bike weighs -and it was never really considered a heavy bike

My comment about the DeBernardi segueways me into another idea --- if you can find an old warhorse like this , use a Nitto Technomic stem to get the bars a little higher, then add a more modern compact or triple chainring drivetrain, --- and you could have a pretty bulletproof cruiser that has a bit of retro style --- then when you get the weight down a bit --- those super light Dura Ace equipped carbon superbikes will still be calling your name

The Italian frames generally had top tubes just a bit shorter than British or American bikes and really take to making a comfy Clydesdale machine well