View Single Post
Old 04-01-14, 08:15 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
If you're going down hill you certainly can.
I'm trying to reassure the guy here, this doesnt help!! ;-)

if you are attentive to gradually increasing how hard you brake time after time of practice runs, are ready to back off, and have reasonable reactions, you can play around and work on getting the rear wheel off the ground just a bit as you brake very hard. Heck, if I could do it when I was 15 or 16, in the 70s, anyone can.
Thats the thing with purposely doing practice runs like this, you can up the amount of braking each time and see what happens. Sure the rear will begin to lift off at some point, but its a test, so you are ready to immediately modulate the lever. The first time you let go completely, the second you back it off just a bit ...etc.
Its like going out in an empty parking lot covered in snow and purposely trying to drift a car and or lose traction--its better to do it in a controlled environment where you can do it over and over and learn, rather than in a real life emergency where you've never done it before and dont know what the frack to do when your car breaks loose, or on two wheels where if you dont control an emergency braking, you can go down, or hit or get hit by something heavy like a car or whatever.

plus, its fun! (so dont make it scary, shshhhh)