Old 04-04-14, 08:07 AM
littleredcat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Help a Nube! Upgrade vintage or buy new retro?

Hello all.

I am very new to bicycle maintanance but have been collecting evidence for a bit before posting.

So I recently been given my mother-in-law's 1970s (I think 74) UO-18 mixte Peugoet with the intention of upgrading it. It has all original parts and the frame itself is in good condition, but after a few decades in her basement it would do well having most of the parts replaced (see pictures). I have started intense internet research and have plans to bring her to my local coop this weekend to be checked out and get my parts list approved. I am planning to upgrade to 700c wheels and tires, replace the freewheel with a 6 speed Shimano tourney, replace the derailer and chain with parts to fit the new freewheel, replace the brake and derailed cables and housing which is totally corroded, and brake pads, update the crankset and BB with a V-O french thread and a single speed chainring/ new crankset (I hardly ever use my current 10 speed's bigger chainring and ditching the front derailed etc seems like a good idea). It's a lot of new stuff and I'm coming from hardly knowing how to clean my chain and change a flat, but I've been thinking of it as a learning experience and I love the feel of vintage bikes. My budget is about $500.

Now, after all of my research and interest, I found this Cooper Aintree bike on ebay at a really excellent price: Cooper Bikes Ladie Woman T250 Aintree Blue Road Bicycle 48cm 52cm Sizes New | eBay

It has some things that I would love to have on my Peugoet rebuild (internal hub, brooks saddle, Mavis rims), but which I just can't afford. And it's less than my rebuild. I can't find a lot of information on this bike, but the parts seem legit.

SO NOW I am confused. Should I go for the Aintree? Another option would be to buy the Aintree, which comes unassembled and treat it as a kit to upgrade the Peugoet, as it's cheaper than buying the parts separately and I could potentially sell off the parts I don't use but that seems a little silly as the Aintree frame is Reynolds 531 which the Pug is not.

Also- am I over my head with a whole bike rebuild as a nube?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
photo 2.jpg (53.7 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg
photo 1-2.jpg (53.5 KB, 80 views)