Old 04-04-14, 09:55 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Little Darwin
Everyone is different, just a few observations based on my own experience. It seems like you have started out right and done what others have suggested, and just enjoyed riding, since others have come to you to find out how to get into cycling.

I have several bikes (and some BSOs), and have basically just asked others to join me, and let them ride one of my bikes. This removes expense as an issue. I have a few bikes I never plan to ride, they are specifically loaners. If someone wants to evangelize others, maybe buying a spare bike or two is a good step. (We can discuss the N+1 principle later)

Last year a guy that I have been working with retired, and I kept in touch with him. He went on a few rides with me. In his case, his son had a nice hard tail 29er that he borrowed for the rides

A guy I had been walking with joined me for a couple of rides. I picked him up, with a spare bike that I quickly adjusted for his use. His daughter thought that he was crazy to ride a bike at 75... But, since then she has changed her mind. He has his own bike now, a Christmas gift. It is not a $500-600 bike (nor is it a department store BSO), and it works for him. We plan to do a multi-day trip later this year.

For someone who hasn't ridden them, road bikes are intimidating, and in my opinion a poor place (for some) to start when they are just getting into riding, or starting again. When I was a kid, I didn't start on a drop bar bike, but a few decades later I bought one to get back into cycling. I rode it a couple of times, and then it decayed in the shed until it got tossed. A few years later, I got a hybrid, and things were much better and formed the basis of one of my current addictions... cycling.

There may also be a factor that riding on roads is intimidating to people who haven't done it. Especially someone who has not had the opportunity to build their skills and confidence by spending time in the saddle. Rail trails are wonderful to help to build the basic skills of balance, cadence, shifting, and many other things that many of us do automatically after some time on a bike.

Among some there is an attitude that someone getting into cycling should get a decent quality road bike, since if they get into riding, they won't have to upgrade. They seem to ignore the fact that the first bike needs to be something that will allow them to get into riding. A cheap hybrid (or BSO) that gets ridden is much more appropriate than the nice road bike that sits in a garage for years until it is finally sold or discarded. This attitude seems silly after the fact, since after we have ridden for a year or two, we know we're going to upgrade anyway. But, I didn't know that when I started.

And finally, don't worry whether an individual rides or not, just stay willing to share your experience and knowledge with anyone that is interested in getting into cycling. It is up to them what they do with the information you share.
I have a stable of extra bikes, so have that angle covered. Last fall, I finally set up a ride with my cousin and his wife. She expressed an interest in cycling. She borrowed my wife's Trek WSD hybrid, though it may have been a little too big for her while my cousin rode my old Bianchi hybrid. I just bought an old Trek 930 mountain bike, so that could easily be a loaner for out of town guests or friends who want to give cycling a try. We even have my wife's old Peugeot 10 speed that we can bring out of retirement if we really need to. Anyhow, the family ride was deemed a success. My cousin remarked how much easier it was riding my 17 year old hybrid compared with his department store bike. We rode about 18 miles together without a major snafu, but as far as I can tell, it didn't take as far as them actually taking up cycling.

I recently went through a whole process with a guy I know from the gym. He expressed a desire to get back to riding outdoors. He is in his 60s and hasn't ridden in a number of years, but though he actually brought his bike boom 10 speed into the bike shop (actually I did, as he had no way to transport a bike) and had it serviced. Though I don't know if the money he spent was worth it compared to just putting it into a new bike, he believes that his old 10 speed is a superior bike to anything you can get for $1,500 or less. I can't say I agree (I told him that $600 or at most $800 would get him a bike that has a wider range of gears, is lighter, more responsive, faster, and more reliable than his old 10 speed, but he didn't agree with me. I can see he is a stubborn man with odd ideas about biking that he picked up from God knows where or when, so I can see I have my work cut out for me. Riding an old bike is fine. I have a preference for steel, which makes me old school, but he has ideas that go beyond quirky and IMO are downright dangerous, such as why it is unnecessary, or counterproductive to bring water with you on a long ride. But I will lead by example and see where it goes. So far, he passed when I offered to ride with him last week.

I agree with your assessment of hybrids being a decent entry point for beginners or people getting back to riding after a long hiatus, and I usually recommend them, even though I currently ride a drop bar bike. The only exception being people who start out wanting to do long road rides (50 miles or more). In that case, better to just get started with a road bike.

Last edited by MRT2; 04-04-14 at 10:47 AM.