View Single Post
Old 04-06-14, 06:01 PM
moose67

Bikes: Carmel 3 26

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I started riding at #450 +. I got off track and let things slide. I stopped riding. My health got bad and because I wasn't taking care of myself with my diabetes and blood pressure I ended up in the hospital last June after getting a severe infection in my foot after stepping on something. With the help of my wife i had to get things going again. We threw out everything white in the house and cut out the fried stuff. Since June of last year I've lost #127 and my A1C is 5.9. I'm chomping at the bit to get back on my bike.
A comfort or hybrid style is best. Definitely ditch the suspension seat post. I found I bottomed it out all the time and it made it hard to get on the bike. Bike shorts are a definite must. Made my riding so much better. As far as the wheels that's one place you definitely need to upgrade. I've broken numerous spokes on my wheels and have had the wheel start to flex a little. Talk with your local bike shop. The good ones will work with you. If nothing else they'll help you find something the right fit. If money is an issue look on Craigslist. If you find the right size bike for the right price then you can upgrade at least the rear wheel. Double wall rim and strong spokes. They put what is essentially downhill spokes on mine.l They've held u but the rim is the weak part of it now. If I can get the strength back in my legs I'm going to start riding again. Walking is the first step, no pun intended.
With size comes difficulty on a bike but don't get discouraged. I HATE hills but sometimes you don't have a real choice. Be patient and if you have to get off and walk then don't feel bad. I walked a lot when I first started riding. Even small hills kicked my but. After a while they got easier. Don't get discouraged. Even when I was riding regularly I hadn't changed my diet. My best ride was 14 miles. You can do it. Be patient with yourself and don't be too hard on yourself. You can do it.