Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Racer Ex
Nice job!
+1. Way to hang.

Bethel Circuit Francis J Clarke M45+, mid 50's, windy, sunny and clear, 5th place. When I feel like quitting this sport, and that is too often, it's days like today that make it all worthwhile. We finally had a nice day for racing in what has been a horrible weather year for this series. My job was to mark the biggest threat for gsteinb and wrap this thing up. My mark went before I was clipped in but Gary got on him. They stayed out for 3 laps while I watched the #2 guy in the series until we caught them. My guy attacked over and over again but I was always on his wheel. He got so pissed off he pulled a very dumb stunt, he brake checked me and almost took the whole field down. I had to cross the yellow to avoid a wreck. Then he threw a tantrum and rode off the back of the field cussing a blue streak at me. I told him I was just doing my job. He suggested I wasn't racing like a gentleman (I immediately thought of Kate and her tea party comment), and I replied that I would have no problem working with him to get back to the field. So we did. And he kept attacking and I kept marking. On the last lap he moved up with me on him, and I was in a great position for the sprint. It took all of my mental energy to stay patient and wait for the right moment to jump. The best I have ever done here is 4th, so this was a great finish. Gary won and I was in the money.

After eating my PB&J on the tailgate of my truck I rolled around for a bit before the P/1/2/3 race, which was delayed because the 3/4 race results took a while. A break of two went early, then came the chase, and things settled down for a bit. I decided to mark an M40+ Master as I felt I could stay with him if he jumped. Once the break was in sight, he started attacking on the hill. I could stay with him but man it hurt. He attacked 3 times in a row and that took a toll. On the fourth time, he got away clean and made the bridge. I just couldn't do it. That took a lot out of me so I resigned myself to hang in and finish. With 12 to go I started sag climbing the hill to conserve. At the finish I was right where I wanted to be but when I jumped the legs would not go. However, the results just came in and I finished 18th. Another top 20 as the oldest guy in the field.

What a great day.

Last edited by shovelhd; 04-06-14 at 06:37 PM.