Old 04-08-14, 12:46 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
Originally Posted by lullite
I will be checking out the bike tomorrow! What kind of things should I be looking for when I'm inspecting the bike?

Haha, it's probably true that people would be less likely to steal the bike if I left baby seat on. But the baby seat is pretty big so I don't want to ride around with it everyday.
Make sure that the frame is straight. Look at the tubes and make sure that there are no dings or bends. Pick up the front of the bike and check if the wheel looks relatively straight and passes between the brake shoes. Do the same for the rear. Ride the bike. Does it feel pretty good? Do the gears and brake work? Basically you don't want a basket case of a repair job. If you have a friend who has some knowledge about bikes, take him or her along.

You are not risking much for $45. If the frame looks good and the wheels look good, you'll be able to fix what you need at the local bike co-op without spending a ton of money on the bike.

Also that is a relatively small bike and you don't want to get a bike that is too small. How tall are you? You are not risking much here. The bike is clean and you can turn around and sell it for what you paid for it (if not more) pretty easily.