Old 04-08-14, 10:54 PM
overbyte

Bikes: 3 folders, 2 recumbents (1 is electric), 1 recumbent trike, 1 touring, 1 mountain, 1 road bike -- So many bicycles, so little time.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by keyven
Very interesting topic - sounds like the Brompton truly is a multi-modal machine. Just keep it covered up and I doubt anyone who is unfamiliar with folders would ever suspect you've got a proper bike under there!
Look at the photos I posted on the thread about the 12"-wheel super-compact folding bike from China, here: http://www.bikeforums.net/folding-bi...l#post16654509. That bike fits right into a normal suitcase that meets the Amtrak and airline dimension limits, without any disassembly. The suitcase has plenty of extra space for a handlebar bag and helmet (see photos and text). It's not a multi-gear bike, not a Brompton quality, but it's very compact when folded, and it rolls on luggage wheels when it's out of the suitcase. You could even make a black fabric skirt for the bike and roll it like a suitcase using the extended handlebar to pull it and the little luggage trolley wheels to roll in the super-compact configuration. This will be a champion at multi-modal travel, I think.