Old 04-11-14, 01:10 AM
Shahmatt

Bikes: Cruzbike Flamingo folding conversion, Oyama East Village

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
I have no debate with the idea that lighter tires are a benefit. The question is cost/benefit in a short commute where tire life will be compromised by road hazards. I use cheap tires because I don't feel my purpose warrants spending more. Others are free to make their own value judgements based on their needs and preferences.
Start stop commuting for 6 miles in glass strewn streets. How much mileage do you get on average between flats? How much time to do you take to change a flat? How long do your tires last you?

What if you put on some quality glass resistant tires like the Marathon Greenguard or similar. First you save tire weight so, as agreed, your acceleration from stops will be better. Not only will you save on your overall travel time (even if only marginally), but being more nimble in starting off and breaking away from traffic even for a few seconds is good for safety. At least with my kojak's I love being able to pull away and then get out of the way from traffic piling up behind me.

Secondly you get fewer flats and hence save time on repairing flats. Thirdly quality tires last much longer. So money is saved in replacements.

I do not think that a significant amount can really be saved for your type of riding. Funnily enough I think premium tires are most suitable for purposes such as yours.

But to each his/her own.