Old 10-09-05, 06:50 PM
firegirl

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lapbander
Aloha,

I write this after spending a small fortune on running shoes over the past several months using advice from local running store staff.

Problem I keep running into is that I have a wide foot, high arches, I seriously under pronate/supinate, and I have a very hard heel strike (on the outside) as I weight 300 lbs (down from 350 about a year ago). I am currently walking/jogging at least 7 miles, three times a week (plus 1 hr bike rides and/or swims on non run days) and I am starting to have problems with my right heel (spurring), right achilles (previously bruised but not torn), and some blisters on the front pads of both of my feet.

Could use suggestions on running shoes with the most heel cushioning and that are not built up on the inside part of the heel. I have several pairs of shoes (including saucony, asics, and new balance that are all wearing on the outside from the heel to the front of the shoe) that are all built up on the inside part of the heel and I'm having difficulty finding running shoes that are built up on the outside part of the heel.

Hope you all can help.

Mahalo, Lapbander.
hi, also supinate, so i feel your pain; shoe manufacturers make very little along these lines. you need to have your running shop make sure that they are recommending shoes for heavier runners (less fluffy padding, more substance to the cushion.) i have tried the same manufacturers you have, and although they were good shoes, i have found adidas to be the runners that least forced me to the outside of my foot. you kind of just have to go and look at the lasts of a bunch of different shoes. as far as your foot problems, you might consider gel heel cups to alleviate the stress of your heel strike. the achilles is likely a flexibility issue, and you should try to keep your achilles stretched throughout the day, not just before your workout. blisters may be helped with better socks, but how is the toe box in your current shoes? if you are getting to much motion you may need to try something more fitted through the forefoot. good luck. i know i dread when my shoes wear out and i have to go struggle to find a new pair.