Old 04-13-14, 01:49 PM
bigfred 

Bikes: More than 1, but, less than S-1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by chaadster
... if you want a load of dogmatic horse-puckey.

He's just a curmudgeonly old-timer who builds wheels perfectly suited to those with few demands. They work. Whoopee.
Um, Chaadster,

Do you realize that Peter has also provided his same attention to details in building deep profile carbon wheels for clydesdale RAAM competitors?

Sure, he has a little rant on his web page about what he believes the average rider should be on for daily riding, but, he's not adverse to taking anyone's money and providing an excellent product by most folks account, if you know what you want and are willing to accept the compromises.

In response to the OP,

My answer would depend on what you view as the shortcomings of your current wheels, what areas you would like to improve on with any new wheels and what compromises you're willing to accept.

If your current wheels aren't giving you any issues there's probably not a lot of case to replace them. Other than keeping them in good shape for use in reselling the bike if that is in your short term plans. Otherwise, make sure they are properly tensioned and equalized and ride them until they start to show signs of fatigue.

If you're still interested in getting some new wheels, just because. As a builder of my own wheels, I tend to lean toward the custom built option, where you can specificy an ideal balance of your priorities and willingness to compromise.