Old 04-15-14, 03:47 PM
Rich Gibson 

Bikes: Fuji Rubaix 1.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by butlerkid
Thanks, Rich! Justin is now thinking about getting a computer.....so we may have a look at the Bontager Node 1.1. How does it get heartrate info?
Good question. It works off the Garmin based ANT+ protocol. I have the Garmin chest strap mounted heart rate monitor. It sends a signal directly to the Node 1.1. I like the Node 1.1 because when ever you stop pedaling (at a traffic intersection) it pauses until you start again. Of course it keeps displaying the heart rate, but it won't begin accumulating distance and time until the wheel turns. There is another protocol, Bluetooth 4.0 (low energy [LE] bluetooth). IIRC it's a bit more advanced than the older ANT+.

That said I would suggest holding off on the chest strap HRM. A bunch of manufacturers are in the process of releasing wrist mounted heart rate sensors. I've ordered the Mio-Link device ($99). Mio Link - Heart Rate Band Mio makes its own but actually makes the sensor for three or four other brand devices. It sends a signal, both in ANT+ or LE Bluetooth format, the best of both worlds. You'd need a device like a Garmin calculator or a smartphone (Samsung Galaxy S4, or even an iPhone) to display the information. What I like is you can put it on and track your (or husband, or anyone else's) resting heart rate, even while sleeping. here's an in-depth review. DCRainmaker.com is a pretty neat gear oriented site. I'll report back when mine arrives.

Rich

Last edited by Rich Gibson; 04-15-14 at 03:50 PM.