Old 04-15-14, 09:15 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3530 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Regarding seat (or, properly, saddle) position, there are three variables: height, tilt, and forward/backward adjustment.

Whoever owned the bike before slid the seat as far back on its rails as she could. The rails are on the bottom part of the saddle. I do that on my bikes, but it may or may not work for you. The guru Sheldon Brown pointed out this puts you in a position akin to a diver crouching to dive into a pool with your head leaning forward and your bum sticking out back to counterbalance. It puts more of your weight on your legs and less on your wrists. If your seat is too far forward, you tend to fall forward and put too much pressure on your wrists.

For seat tilt it looks like it is tilted a bit down at the front. This might cause you to slide forward and always be pushing yourself back. Probably better to have it level or a very tiny bit higher at the front, so you slide towards the back. But not too high or the nose will cause discomfort. Most of your weight should be on the ischial bones ("sit bones").

Re saddle height, your leg should be almost straight at the bottom of the pedal stroke, but not quite. If your butt rocks a bit as you pedal, you are too high. Some people feel it is at the right height if they can straighten their leg when their heel is on the pedal. I like it just a smidge lower than that.

Last edited by cooker; 04-15-14 at 09:19 PM.