Old 04-16-14, 05:28 AM
phoebeisis
New Orleans

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo
No. Many of the things you pay more for contribute to durability. Forgings instead of castings or plastic or stamped plate, BBs instead of bushings, bronze sleeves instead of plain holes, stainless fasteners instead of chromed steel, electroplating instead of paint, etc.

I'm not sure about MTB stuff, but when it comes to road gear, Dura Ace has some mind-blowing little touches here and there; some of the engineering is quite extravagant. Some of the features are all about durability, but others are about trying out a new design to save weight; if it's a success the feature gets to trickle down. If not, it won't make it to the next version of Dura Ace. So DA can be a bit of a mixed bag; owners are beta testers to some extent (pros being the alpha testers).

Ultegra is pretty much the bomb, minus some of the fanciest touches, but also minus any questionable experiments - it's tried and true. (Stupidly short cable pull and hence unreliable indexing aside.)

I imagine it's a similar story with XTR versus the rest of the MTB range, but probably with some of the niftier unique features being more about function and durability rather than weight savings.

Top-level gear is best left for those who aren't paying for it, and/or those who consider such aerospace engineering to be wall art.

If you're really serious but not obsessed, second-tier gear is generally the smartest choice, if it won't break the bank. There's very little wrong with third-tier stuff too.

So yeah pricier can be more durable-but for most folks-not an issue-parts outlast their ownership

If you're really smart, you're happy with cheaper hubs, cranks and brakes, and you spend more on nicer shifters and derailers. And unless you can score a good deal it's hard to justify fancier chains and cassettes than 105/Deore.

Maybe-but- it is rare to actually wear a part out-(other than chain or cog of chainring or cables)
even my fellow bike nuts-multiple hundred miles a week-
Just how often do you wear a derailleur out-as opposed to switching because you want the latest greatest?
Now 300 mile a week riders-yeah they do-but I kinda doubt the OP is doing that?

And yes I have 26" wheeled "rigid MTBs" that I ride on the street and levee. I like pretty stuff,so I have XT,LX and an occasional XTR part-
but the bikes i have bought with Acera parts-those derailleurs-and NEVER worn out-despite being 12-15-18 years old
Of course many have VERY LITTLE use judging from chainring wear marking-and derailleur pulleys

Still for most bike riders lower end but still decent Shimano components will outlast their ownership of that bike

300 miles a week-yeah you will wear out a derailleur-maybe shifter too-
but 15,000 miles a year-LOTTA MILES- probably 10x what the average bike covers in its entire LIFE