Old 04-16-14, 06:03 PM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by bigredkevbot
So the shop that I like nearby has a wheel with a flip-flop hub in a 27" size. I really only need a rear wheel, and I will have the front one trued up.

Does anyone here have experience with these types of wheels? Are they less reliable because of this versatility?

Thanks
Originally Posted by prooftheory
The only disadvantage of a flip flop hub is that you can't put a different cog on each side. They are as reliable as double-sided track hubs.
Just to clarify the terminology. 'Flip-flop' really just means the hub is threaded on either side so you can turn it around.

Prooftheory is using another popular definition that means the hub is set up for fixed on one side (with a smaller, reverse threaded, locking ring thread) and with a wide thread on the other meant for a freewheel (you can't fit a true locking ring). These are sometimes called fixed/free. Prooftheory is simply stating that you can't put a fixed cog on either side. You can set up the free side with a fixed cog and a bb locking ring against the cog but these should be used with brakes only as the cog can still spin off under back pressure.

The double-sided track cogs that Prooftheory refer too have the locking ring thread on both sides and so are safe for fixed use on both sides. You can also safely use a freewheel on these threads so yes, they are the most versatile. These are sometimes called fixed/fixed.

Just adding some explanation, Prooftheory was correct in what he was saying.