Thread: Bike lights!!
View Single Post
Old 04-17-14, 06:39 AM
jrickards

Bikes: 2002 Norco Bigfoot, 2012 KHS Tempe, 1988 Bianchi Strada, 2012 Kona Sutra, 2002 Look AL 384

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Personally, I think that a good set of front and rear lights is all you need in terms of lights, although I can see the benefit of helmet-mounted lights for full-dark, non-illuminated rides (or portions thereof) such as along MUPs/paths/street-light-free zones. Spoke lights can really only be seen from the side and only suggest the circular shape of wheels when in motion. Personally, I would recommend moving on to reflective additions such as (as other have) on the rims and also on yourself such as pant clips/wraps and a reflective vest or jacket with reflective portions (a rainshell with reflective patches is particularly beneficial because, during rain, illumination and visibility is reduced so a reflective rainshell serves 2 purposes).

Also, but maybe not now with a limited budget, there are many good commuting tires with reflective sidewalls which eliminates the need to add reflective tape to your rims.