View Single Post
Old 04-17-14, 09:38 AM
CommuteCommando

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
I commute in Orange County Ca. The southern part, south and west of SR 55 is cycle heaven. It's newer, the streets are wider and there are bike lanes everywhere and lots of really good trails. North Orange county is different. It's older and most major boulevards have full traffic lanes curb to curb.

Originally Posted by RubeRad
I'm in San Diego, more specifically suburban North County. My particular commute has wide, safe bike lanes all the way, and I generally find sufficient bike lanes where ever I go. I do wish we had more MUPs; there are plenty of recreational trails, but not so much that gets you places. My biggest gripe about San Diego is lack of Co-ops. Also, I happen to live in a dead zone even for LBS. The one shop we had in Poway closed this year. Black Mountain Cycles is more of a high-end shop, the kind of place that every time I come out of there I got ripped off. I miss Ye Olde BIcycle Shoppe down on University, but I moved (to be able to bike commute), so I can't get down there that often anymore.
I get there from North San Diego County by commuter rail. There, the infrastructure is kinds spotty. Oceanside is trying really hard, and my route to the train station is bike lane, or traffic calmed side streets all the way.

San Diego itself is kind of spotty too. One neighborhood that surprised me was North Park. I had lived there in the eighties, and it was not really bike friendly back then. I had been away for a long time and went back there for the first time last year. Infrastructure wise it hadn't really improved much. Culturally it was way different. The neighborhood had become somewhat bohemian, and the number of bikes on the street seems to have caused a cultural shift in the attitudes of drivers.