View Single Post
Old 04-17-14, 12:18 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
200 miles of dirt/ gravel roads in the Flint hills in Kansas. Reportedly the flint rips through tires, and that is a principal concern.

Tires I've seen reccomended include Clement X'Plor 40mm, Schwalbe Marathon Extreme Cross, Specialized Armadillo Elite Crossroads, and Stan's Ravens (with a number of people saying the Ravens are too light.)

I know there's a smattering of info on this on BF, but I'm starting a new thread, given that others are dated, and models have changed or been discontinued.

So what's a good choice for low rolling resistance, puncture resistance, and strong sidewalls (to avoid casing tears, which could ruin your day)?

Personally, I'll be doing it on a CX bike so 700c, and 40mm is likely the widest I can go.
Hi Merlin,

What size tires and what air pressures did you use last year? Right now, I'm planning on a 700x40 Schwable Marathon Dureme on the rear and a 700x40 Vittoria Rando Hyper on the front.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.