View Single Post
Old 04-17-14, 05:02 PM
carfreeforme

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in the mid-west, a rural county, though its growing..the nearest big city (170k) is 29 miles south.
There is a county transit, but it is demand response system..meaning you have to call for a ride..that would be good, except due to cuts, they only have a handful of buses on the road at anytime, so you must call a few days ahead time (usually like 7) to reserve your ride. The one way fare is $4.00. The buses do serve door to door, but are often late..also service stops at 6pm..you better be on the bus by 5pm, I been told.
The county commissioners can care less about transit here..they have said publicly that only 4%of the county ever uses transit anyhow.
now there is a cab service that serves the three rural counties adjacent to each other..it comprises of regular people using thier cars as cabs..often very old cars at that..the fare within town $10 oneway, to other towns $20 one way, to the big city (29 miles away) $50 one way.
there use to be a greyhound bus stop in town, that would stop like twice a day..but was eliminated five years ago.
No train service..except the freight trains that roll through town!
the nearest fixed route is the county south of me..which is 21 miles a way..those buses have bike racks, and run about every hour..though go through a real bad part of town before hitting downtown.
the county North to me has the same demand response system as well as the county west of me..but that county actually has great service I been told.
so..I walk or ride my bike everywhere..borrow a car from time to time in the cold months..I was car free for awhile in mid 200's, but got married and that went to the waist-side..but now, this month actually we are both going car free!