View Single Post
Old 04-17-14, 08:44 PM
Sirrus Rider
Velocommuter Commando

Bikes: '88 Specialized Sirrus, '89 Alpine Monitor Pass, two '70 Raligh Twenties, '07 Schwinn Town & Country Trike, '07 Specialized Sirrus Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Zaphod Beeblebrox
Yes it is. in Texas (and probably also China). I don't know why I said Germany....although for all I know they may employ Germans. Or not. I suppose a better statement on my part might be "It may be made by Germans, or not."

EIther way it kicks butt and if they could get the weight to be comparable with a conventional IGH it would be a real no brainer.

Since switching my trike to a Nuvinci I have noticed a sustained gain of about 1.5 mph on my average speed over a set 20 mile course. I attribute this to being able to get out of the low range and into the higher ratios easier and quicker than with conventional IGH gearing. I hate it when there's a bigger jump between gears 1 and 2 than between all the rest. I understand why its done that way but it makes it much harder to work out of that lowest gear without a big step. With the Nuvinci I can dial the ratio up gradually so its barely perceptible that I am gaining gear inches as I climb. Cadence can stay at just about your optimal range all the time and you just twist the shifter and the bike goes faster.

Its sorta like Lemond said... it doesn't get easier, you just go faster.

It's made by Germans in South Texas...