View Single Post
Old 04-18-14, 10:22 AM
chojn1

Bikes: Eriksen Tandem, DIY CF Tandem, Aluminum Tandem, Lightspeed, Cervelo, Specialized, Trek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 4 Posts
Carbonfiberboy,

Very nice bike case! That thing looks indestructible. I am envious - your packing time must be less than 5 minutes. I also like the wheels. I can imagine my kid ridding that thing around the airport.
Any advise on the design and build of the case?

I made something similar in the past, but was not very happy with their dimensions and weight (24lb each).
Everything fit, but it took a long time to pack and unpack. Also fully packed at 50lb each and without wheels they were very awkward to handle.

This time, I think I'll attempt a case similar to what AKexpress suggested - fiberglass with intergrated wheels and handles. Toying with my bike dimensions this morning, I came up with this preliminary drawing:

The right case is standard 26x26x10in needed for the wheels. It should also hold the bike's mid section.
The left case is 28x22x12in and will fit the front and rear sections. Both cranksets will stay on along with the chain, derailleur, brakes, and cages. The DI2 essentially eliminated the need for post assembly derailleur cables adjustments. Not removing the brakes will eliminate the brake cables adjustments. The things left are the timing belt, eccentric, handle bars, saddle posts, and pedals. I am aiming for a 15 min. packing/unpacking time.

I'm off to learn about fiberglass.
Any issue with this material for luggage?

CJ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Wood Bike Cases.jpg (97.7 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg
Bike Case Packing.jpg (93.9 KB, 107 views)

Last edited by chojn1; 04-22-14 at 06:57 AM.