View Single Post
Old 04-21-14, 08:33 AM
Moyene Corniche

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by uluchay
In the last couple years I have lost around 25 kg (that's about 55 lbs) and I feel much better now.

I now have much narrower calves, ankles, hips, arms, shoulders, neck and whatnot. I have almost zero love-handles, visible collarbones and everything. I do, however have a good amount of belly fat still intact. It sure is much less than before but it's still there.

I am 1.80m tall (5'11") at some point I was 106 kg (234 lbs) and I now weigh roughly 80-81 kg (178 lbs). I know it's completely BS but my BMI is 24,9 which is just below the overweight threshold. I'm not into six-packs or 18% body fat or whatever. I just want this thing completely gone.

Is there something I'm missing? I'm doing a fair amount of cardio workouts (bike & run) and I do not overeat.

PS: I am on a LCHF diet and it seems to work well. Please do not try to convince me to change my diet.
Originally Posted by uluchay
I see a significant difference but I don't really know how much difference is too much. I had really bad posture in the past and I could say running helped me a lot to correct my posture and spinal awareness (I totally made that up) in general.

/*DISCLAIMER FOR SENSITIVE PEOPLE*/

I took some pictures. Won't put them here, just the links.
No one has to see my body so click at your own risk:

/*DISCLAIMER FOR SENSITIVE PEOPLE*/

Completely tucked in:
http://i.imgur.com/jeMM4rJ.jpg

Normal:
http://i.imgur.com/mAgP3J0.jpg

Pushed as far as I could:
http://i.imgur.com/JZGSjZ7.jpg
Interesting Thread.... I first disagree with the premise of " DIET "... A word completely derived from a marketing standpoint of convincing people as to how they should organize their " NUTRITIONAL " intake... Diet means one is eliminating nutrients... Diets are based on achieving quick results since the general consensus is that americans do not have the attention span and patience to implement healthy lifestyle changes but more importantly practice these changes and adapt to them...

OP... From your pics, you definitely lack muscle tone. Riding a bike will shed excess baggage, but since the bike is the most efficient method of transportation we have devised, it is also quite easy to think you are " Training " when in fact your HR is well within it's aerobic comfort zone...
You say you refuse to weight train... Or resistance training as it is more correctly defined... In some instance I agree with you... Nothing turns me off more than going to a Gym.... But in off-season I have to implement a few weeks of resistance training...
( Granted, I'm returning to racing as a Cat II and my goals differ vastly from yours )
There are multiple ways to implement resistance workouts without ever entering a Gym's weight-room....
I see you live on or nearby Lake Como Italy ?? How about cross training ?? windsurfing would definitely work the upper body... Or perhaps sailing small single hand sailboats, like a J-15... Or how about rowing / Sculling.. The latter would work all your inner core muscle groups..
Tennis ?? There are multiple local clubs with clay courts to consider...

As far as changing your nutritional aspects ..... Yes !! You need to adjust that daily Bacon intake... I also love bacon, but it is an occasional treat, not a daily fix... It is high in cholesterol and not the good type.. This results in overloading your arteries which results in a less than efficient and constrained plumbing system... Which simply correlates to oxygen carrying red blood cells working harder to feed those muscles..
Less oxygen means less capability of glycogen consumption, part of the fuel equation that muscles require to function properly...
Since I'm on Nutritional Aspects, it is also about How much you consume and when....
Being in Italy I would assume it's much easier to moderate ( i grew up in France ) but regardless, that last meal of the day should leave you still hungry, feeling as if you could easily eat much more... And that should be at least 2.5 hours before bedtime....

I don't subscribe to any calorically measured nutrition program, it's basically healthy non processed organically grown food. I do every so often treat myself to Ice cream, an occasional chip or other... I do stay away from soda's... Never drink them unless I'm sick then a glass of Coke is amazing for an upset stomach... But that is rarely... Wine... ??? I'm French so I will have my glass of wine with dinner, not everyday but it's also in moderation.....

Back to working out... I saw someone posted about Intervals... ??? Why ??? It's absolutely unnecessary. Unless you are planning to race, but that is an entirely different set of parameters... Intervals should not even be practiced without a solid base of 1,500-2,000 miles of training..
( That is 1,500-2,000 miles this current season, accrued from January forward, not adding up last year's mileage...)
There is a complex methodology in Interval Training... It is part of Periodization Training, Joe Friel's Book " The Cyclist Training Bible " delves into the subject....

Crosstraining is when and where you will see the most benefit as far as not only weight loss but also muscle gain... Do be aware that as you shed excess fat reserves and build muscle tone, at some point your overall body weight loss will decrease.... Make sure you differentiate between muscle mass and fat mass.... Thinking you need to lose more weight, therefore reducing your nutritional intake, thus starving your reconstituted muscle max will result in your body cannabilizing itself... If you don't supply enough protein for muscle regeneration, then your system will adapt and take it from within.... Rehydration ( constant ) is also critical especially in Italy...

For someone who's is a casual cyclist, it's fairly simple, for those of us who race, it's always a constant awareness of not dipping over the threshold too long or too often....

( As far as my cycling background, I have raced here US and in France ( amateur ) coached Juniors, promoted a Stage Race for 5 years as well as Ski Raced ( alpine tech events ) and also coached Juniors ...... )
Good Luck with the fitness plan....

Last edited by Moyene Corniche; 04-21-14 at 08:41 AM.