Old 04-21-14, 07:12 PM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
I'd had about 14,000 miles before I changed out the shifter and rings I'd actually had a replacement revo shifter on it which was functioning - I just didn't like it and didn't see the need for a triple for how I was using it,.
And 14,000 is a lot of miles, but for somebody that rides a lot that might mean only 3 to 6 years. Maybe a little more, maybe a little less. Not so great for a shifter. On the other hand many "serious" riders get new bikes that often anyway so maybe it doesn't make much difference.

For that matter I'm sure a replacement Revo shifter isn't going to set someone back too much. I do have some experience with them. One of my kids' bike had them. The shift indicator window broke off one of them when the bike fell over. Eventually I replaced them with some used SRAM grip shifters I picked up for a few bucks.

My road bike is 8 years old and the fixed gear I'm riding is probably 30 years old. Until my son crashed it last year it was a geared bike and the shifters, derailleurs, etc all worked great. I have no idea how many miles were on it.

After looking over this post perhaps the key to bike longevity is to keep my son away from them.

Last edited by tjspiel; 04-21-14 at 07:50 PM.