Old 04-22-14, 08:38 PM
skiffrun

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I was made aware of this thread this evening. I am very sure that the OP on this thread is the person to whom I sent an encouraging email which I copied into the Long Distance Forum (http://www.bikeforums.net/long-dista...l#post16693064) -- fyi, and I suppose this might be name-dropping, MikeD referenced in that post is the current RUSA prez.

Some comments about the course:
  • it was the Morrisville 200,
  • which is rollers-rollers-rollers,
  • which is no where near the mtns in the western part of NC,
  • but the roads are essentially some asphalt on grass (i.e., almost no "engineering," meaning the slope changes almost constantly,
  • other than the start/finish, the only controls are at the "50-mile" mark, the half-way point, and the "75-mile" mark (the "mile-marks" are bit off this year because there was a detour to get around a bridge under re-construction),
  • this was the 16th year Alan (the RBA) has used this course,
  • it is also the first and last 100-kms of his 300 & 400 routes,
  • so locals know the route better than the back of their hand,
  • we know when to hammer a climb because a good recovery section follows immediately,
  • the slow climbers among us (including me) know when to back off the effort and spin,
  • and almost all of us end up with some pretty fast times,
  • esp. if the prevailing wind on the day is from the west.
  • Almost none of the locals bother to check their cue sheets,
  • many of us don't even carry it with us,
  • because we know the course.
  • course map (R - NCBC Morrisville 200k (2014 version) - A bike ride in Morrisville, NC) -- if you go to the Raleigh Region website, don't trust the Trimble map on the cover/home page, instead click the link for the 200 course, and look at the link to the RWGPS map there.

Some comments on MikeB ("Null66"):
  • I thought he had too much gear with him,
  • but he had a good attitude before the event.
  • AND he dang well better show up at some Perm-Pops, Perms, and another 200 brevet!
  • Because he has the attitude to succeed.

An unimportant comment: I think I used to qualify as a Clyde, and if I don't reduce my food intake and/or increase my cycling mileage, I may qualify again in a few months.

Good luck, MikeB, aka, Null66 !