View Single Post
Old 04-24-14, 08:36 AM
Huffamoose

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FLJeepGuy
Not a bad bike for the price if it's in good or better condition. Parts should be readily available, and honestly, your local bike shop (LBS) can probably do the work for you and offer upgraded components when the time comes. I wouldn't recommend putting a ton of cash into upgrading this bike. Get it, make sure everything is properly adjusted and ride it until you figure out what you like and don't like. Then talk to your LBS about upgrades or a new bike.

As far as getting it checked out, there are some things you can do yourself. First, check that the handlebars are straight and that they are properly lined up with the front wheel. Use the seat adjustment to make sure the seat is straight, and put it somewhere reasonable for a test ride. Next, Pick up each end of the bike and spin the tires. Look for side to side wobble where the tires go through the brakes and listen for any grinding sounds at the hubs. They should run straight and smooth. Minor wobble can be fixed by having your LBS true the wheels for a small fee. Next, while the tires are spinning, look and listen for any rubbing by the brakes. Make sure the brake handles pull easily and that the brakes release when the handles are released. Check for air pressure in the tires and if possible ride the bike and make sure that both the front and rear shifters and derailleurs work properly across the entire gear range. Once you've done this, you've covered most of the basics to make sure the bike is rideable.

Assuming you purchase the bike, a trip to your local LBS for adjustment and lubrication is usually a good idea and usually not overly expensive. Developing a good working relationship with a quality LBS will make your cycling life much easier.

Good luck! Many enjoyable miles are ahead of you!
Many thanks for your reply! I got it for $100.00 and pick it up tomorrow. I will take it to a local bike shop and get it fitted and I think it needs new tires. What do you recommend for tires? Again thanks for your help. I appreciate all the replies. I will try to post a pic this weekend and am looking for any help on what I need to get it up to speed.