View Single Post
Old 04-25-14, 06:26 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
As the OP I ask that this thread be closed. As soon as it drifted into personal attacks the cause was lost. I only wanted a discussion about how to value information that one can't gain on their own. I offered two variations on the shop's actions, neither was done by the shop and not by me at ant shop I've worked/owned. But The question was put out here as an academic exercise. that some seem to not be able to understand critical debate is sad. So, again, can this thread please be closed and locked down. Andy.
I think you discounted the possibility that there is a "black hole" drawing conversations having anything to do with bicycle retailing toward it. People just can't resist going in the directions of LBS vs. online and friendly vs. businesslike no matter what the opening question. Having said that, I also think you accomplished quite a lot under the circumstances. It would be a shame to delete this discussion. Perhaps most importantly you give up rights to a discussion when you throw it up on the board. You started it, sure, but after the first reply it just isn't yours anymore. I think it would be more constructive to not try to take your football and go home, but rather to pump it up from time to time and keep playing. In other words get in the conversation more often and keep steering it in the direction you want it to go. Show some "listening" skills (or is it "reading" skills), reflect back onto the participants what they are saying and how they are or are not answering your question. IMO you are not putting enough effort into keeping this thing on track. The OP is the most important moderator of all, not just for censorship, but for actually steering a conversation.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...