Old 04-26-14, 10:02 AM
David Bierbaum

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 19 Posts
Calling on the accumulation of wisdom in battling bugs...

Now that Spring has finally sprung with a "sproing!" sound, I find it is once again the season to battle against the insect hordes.

I am currently trying a nifty trick I just picked up on the interwebs to repel wasps from building nests near the entrances to the house, using brown paper bags stuffed with paper and crumpled into the shape of a wasp's nest, and hanging them in the areas that you want to repel wasps from. To keep wasps from food when outdoors, slice cucumbers and place the slices around the area where the food is. I've also come across a youtube video propounding upon the idea of making up a mixture of water, detergent, and peppermint oil, to use against wasps and repel them.

For ants, there is the old remedy of baited traps using sugar or honey mixed with borax or boric acid.

What pest control measures do you folks use (outside of cans of raid for bugs and poison peanuts for moles) that seem to work for you? The fake wasp nests SEEM to be working for me, but it might be a case of "shark repellent in Kansas" effect...