Old 04-27-14, 06:26 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
What a great day it was.

Boy, did I have a great day yesterday. The storm that so sadly soaked the folks on Cape Cod rolled thru here on Friday night and left us with bright sun and cool dry air. The sort of beautiful spring day that we'd longed for all winter, thru 18 winter storms. Spring has not sprung this year, it has exploded outta the ground - clawing at the sun just the way us humans are doing. Pushed off from LPVP while watching numerous gangs of volunteers planting new trees around the park (and saw other Arbor day activity in various spots along the trail). Rolled around and thru some residual puddles but otherwise had perfect trail conditions. For those who know the SRT: the entire stretch thru the sylvan tunnel from the Betzwood Bridge to Port Indian has been repaved in the last week. Excellent surface now. 60deg F, clear, mild west wind. Celtic music in the ear buds, classic purr of the chain and FW, flowering everything on both sides and the gentle river 'right there' to watch.

Lots of folks on the trail but mine was the finest classic lightweight in play. Lots of full zoot cyclists out on their full carbon and aluminum rigs, 11spd rears, proper kit, proper up-to-date everything having a great day. I normally do not pass them but when Lunasa is cranking in both ears that Nishiki just gotta go. "Sorry about that." My pace is often determined by the tempo of the tunes.

The trail was open at Ford St so no public roads all day. Right before Ross St it's currently rough loose stone (best to just walk the road bike) but that's only 50 yds or so. No bugs yet, all the flowering trees out, tulips, forsythia, even the weeds looked good. Good girl watching too, some very good watching. The Manayunk Tow Path is in fine shape so I just rolled along past the spillway and along the canal, thru the geese and past the flowers. In spots the old buildings are right on the water so board walks are build out over the canal for the trail. I do enjoy those sections as it reminds me of riding out on the docks at Menemsha, MA.

Arrived at Kildare's earlier than expected (due to the pace) and found the perfect bench on Main St, in the sun. For a while I just sat and watched the show. Lots of folks out, lots of bikes blasting along Main St (the cars are VERY used to the bike traffic there) and light car traffic. All sorts of bikes, all sorts of people, kids, cops, old folks, someone with a unicorn head on (funny watching people trying to ignore that), motorcycles, flashy cars and more good girl watching.

I'd checked the radar loop before leaving home and knew that Cape Cod was getting hosed down and thought about them often. All just luck. I've done the CCRT in warm sun but knew it was not happening. After a nice blow I pushed off & headed west and enjoyed it all again. You all know how a route looks so different just going the other direction - just like that. But, as is so often the case, I was pushing a headwind back - not bad but the pace was down a bit. Still plenty of folks out, even a few packs of families and scout troops on their mountain bike trains. Just part of the fun.

As the trails turns along the way the headwind changes but when I saw the wind sock at American Water I knew it was 'a job of work' from there on (7 miles). Good for the heart. Back to the car, on wobbly legs, around 1:00 after 38 miles. Could not have been a much better ride. Several folks had said earlier 'if only it was on a different weekend' so I think I'll do this again on May 31st (saturday) same time, same place. Maybe ride on down to the end and eat lunch under a huge tree at the Water Works. We'll see.

Nope, didn't carry a camera - never do. Just soaked in the day.